The DC-7 was the largest and last piston-engine airliner designed by Douglas. It was capable of flying from New York to London non-stop. This aircraft is a DC-7B, and was originally delivered to Eastern Airlines in 1958 where it flew as an airliner in scheduled service until retirement in 1965. The aircraft sat unused for over 30 years until 2002, when it was restored and certified to carry passengers.
On a recent trip to Charlotte, it experienced engine trouble while attempting to return to Florida.
It is currently on the Sullenberger Aviation Museum ramp awaiting a new engine. While it’s here, we are happy to allow guests to view it from the outside ramp as we are able.